The Manager, Internal Communications will play a critical role in establishing strategic, campus-wide communications to inform and engage the University s faculty and staff. With an audience of more than 15,000 people, this role will support the delivery of strategic, timely, informative, two-way communication to a diverse range of groups.
Working with the Director, Internal Communications this role with work alongside another Manager, Internal Communications and a Specialist, Internal Communications - within the team, as well as working closely with colleagues from Human Resources, IT and UBC Okanagan.
This role supports the planning, development and implementation of university-wide faculty and staff communications initiatives, aligned with UBC s vision, brand and strategic organizational priorities. The Manager, Internal Communications is a champion for communicating, with a firm focus on people.
Reports to the Director, Internal Communications. Works collaboratively with diverse groups of academic and administrative stakeholders from across the university. Builds strong working relationships with staff from: Human Resources, IT, Public Affairs, UBC Okanagan and other senior communicators across the university.
- Works closely with the Director, Internal Communications to develop internal communication strategies that engage faculty and staff in the university s organizational priorities.
- Ensures the UBC brand experience and storytelling is connected and relevant across internal communication platforms.
- Develops and implements faculty and staff communications and engagement programs, including drafting communications strategies and evaluation reports. Further supports the academic mandate of the institution by exploring ways in which to facilitate communications and engagement specifically with faculty.
- Ensures two-way communication through the collection and analysis of faculty and staff feedback. Adopts industry best practice to ensure meaningful internal communication and engagement.
- Acts as an internal communications champion, spearheading new and/or improved methods of communicating with faculty and staff (including use of new media platforms).
- Exercises a high level of diplomacy and discretion, and develops strong rapport and relationships with all stakeholder groups, allowing for open and constructive communication and collaboration towards internal communications objectives.
- Develops and writes university-wide materials for both print and electronic media.
- Works with external consultants and contractors as needed, to drive optimal results and ensure value for money.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Must be able to work independently and exercise extensive judgement and decision making in managing proactive and reactive communication needs and issues. Every action and decision could have a significant impact on the brand and reputation of the university.
Works with autonomy under guidelines established by the Director, Internal Communications.
Responsible for supervising contractors and suppliers for specific internal communications projects and may also supervise co-op and/or work study student placements.
Job End Date: Nov 26, 2021.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline.Degree in Communications or Journalism preferred.Minimum of six years experience or communications services or the equivalent combination of education and experience.Proficient in Microsoft Office. Exceptional oral and written communication, presentation, facilitation and interpersonal skills.Experience delivering internal communications within a large, complex organization.Ability to establish a high level of rapport with colleagues within the university community; utilize judgment and sensitivity in presenting issues; provides leadership in determining appropriate courses of action.Ability to think strategically. Ability to effectively manage sensitive or controversial issues.Understands the dynamics of a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and can prioritize effectively.Possesses a collaborative, team-focused working style. Self-sufficient and self-motivated.Lives our team values by being a good listener and collaborator, a creative storyteller and problem solver.Is an innovative thought leader who is entrepreneurial and resourceful, authentic and transparent.Embraces and embodies UBC brand attributes of bold, open and a global perspective.