In our last Speaker Series event, held on March 14th at the SFU downtown campus, attendees had the opportunity to learn from Kathleen Reid, one of BC's top tech industry communicators and Founder of Switchboard PR Agency, about the challenges media relations professionals face in an era of fractured journalism.
Kathleen explained that constant changing of the media landscape such as content creation by online influencers, reduction of reporters in newsrooms, and the instant access to information has decreased the effectiveness of traditional media relations tools.
She discussed five main topics that public relations professionals should pay attention to in order to be more successful while trying to pitch the media:
1) How to earn and maintain credibility in today's newsrooms:
2) Why media relations and relationships are essential, now more than ever:
3) How to better leverage your company spokespeople:
4) Emerging trends and challenges to watch this year:
5) Effective ways to achieve earned media coverage in 2019:
Paula Schütt has a bachelor's degree in Public Relations from UNIVALI and a marketing certificate from Arbutus College. She has over 3 years experience working both in agency and in-house settings for companies in the fitness, logistics, accounting and cosmetics industries. LinkedIn: @paulaschutt